The Chicago car accident lawyers from Krzak Rundio Gorman, Injury Attorneys can help you or your family recover after you or someone you love is involved in a serious car wreck. Our law firm has the resources and high-profile case experience your claim deserves. Unsure if you have a potential claim? Don’t hesitate to get in touch.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), almost 1,000 people lost their lives in statewide car accidents in 2017. Chicago, unsurprisingly, is the busiest city in Illinois. According to 2015’s crash data, we saw over 110 fatal crashes just here in Chicago. Living, working, and enjoying our weekends in a worldwide metropolitan city has its advantages, but it also comes with more risks. Larger cities see more traffic accidents, and Chicago is no exception.
If you’ve been in a serious crash, you might be questioning your legal options. If you feel the other driver was at fault for the wreck and your insurance will not cover your medical expenses, you may be eligible to file a car accident lawsuit in Chicago and receive financial compensation that can make complete recovery a reality. Contacting a personal injury attorney is also a good idea if you’re struggling with pushy insurance adjusters who are trying to get your case settled before you know your rights.
By contacting Krzak Rundio Gorman, Injury Attorneys, you’ll get answers to any questions you may have as well as a zero-obligation case evaluation at no cost to you. We never charge for an initial consultation and our fees are contingent on a successful resolution of your case.
Chicago Car Accident Facts and Statistics
In the United States, car accidents are one of the leading causes of injury and death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, almost 37,500 people nationwide died in car accidents in 2016. Every year we see more traffic fatalities on our roads and highways. This can partially be explained by simple population growth, but it’s still an astronomical figure when you consider the fact that our motor vehicles are safer than they’ve ever been thanks to technological advances.
With Chicago’s population peaking at just over 2.7 million residents in 2018, it’s no wonder that Chicago’s roads and interstates are packed with traffic at any time of the day or night. The Windy City we call home is more than just a major metropolitan hub, it’s one of the most important business centers in the world and a global capital.
Here are some more statistics about Chicago car accidents:
- In 2015, 90,396 traffic collisions occurred in Chicago.
- 15,827 of those car crashes resulted in injury.
- In total, 21,667 individuals suffered from injury during those crashes. Almost 3,000 of those injuries were classified as “A “class injuries which were incapacitating. 10,000 injuries were classified as “B” class severity which were non-incapacitating.
- 2,855 Chicago car accidents in 2016 involved pedestrians. Pedestrian deaths unfortunately occur at a high rate in Chicago.
- 1,720 accidents involved cyclists during the same year.
Given these statistics, it’s up to everyone—Chicago residents, visitors, and commercial drivers—to do their best to avoid causing a disastrous car wreck. But what causes most car accidents in Chicago and throughout the state?
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Illinois
Even the best of drivers can’t avoid getting into a minor fender-bender at times, but it’s a simple fact that most serious car accidents can be avoided.
No matter how technologically-advanced our vehicles become, human judgment is still a necessary factor in avoiding accidents (until self-driving cars become commonplace, that is). Statistics state that over time, humankind’s capacity for measured intelligence is increasing, but so is the number of car accidents our roads see.
Why is this? To answer that question, let’s look at some of the top causes for car accidents in our state:
- Drunk Driving – Driving under the influence of alcohol can absolutely be avoided and is a major cause for a large percentage of car accidents in Illinois. In 2015, 28% of all fatal crashes in our state involved alcohol.
- Failure to Follow Traffic Laws – Posted signs and traffic laws are in place for a reason. When someone fails to follow a posted sign or fails to yield to the correct right-of-way law or traffic signal, an accident can quickly result.
- Speeding/Aggressive Driving – Speeding is a major factor in most accidents since it can have a serious impact on how quickly a car can slow or come to a complete stop in case of an emergency. In 2015, 32% of all fatality-causing car crashes in Illinois involved one or more driver who was speeding.
- Distracted Driving – When a driver allows themselves to become distracted by a phone call, incoming text, smartphone app, or even an item they’ve dropped inside their vehicle, etc., they may cause an accident. Driving should always remain our primary focus when we’re behind the wheel.
- Vehicle Defects – When a car or vehicle part is defective or unsafe, that vehicle is more likely to cause an accident that the driver may not be able to avoid. Other defective parts may lead to severe injury in the case of a crash. Common defective vehicle parts include:
- Defective airbags
- Braking system failures
- Faulty gas pedals that lead to unintended acceleration
- Defective tires
Common Injuries Sustained After a Car Accident
Being involved in a serious car wreck can cause a wide variety of injuries and implications to all victims involved. Crash injuries are often defined as being in two different categories as noted above:
- Class “A”: An incapacitating injury or one that isn’t fatal but that prevents the individual from walking, driving, or normally continuing their activities. Includes broken limbs, severe lacerations, skull or chest injuries, and abdominal injuries.
- Class “B”: A non-incapacitating injury or one that is evident to observers at the scene of the crash but more minor than Class A injuries. Includes minor concussions, bruises, abrasions, and minor lacerations.
Common specific types of injuries received after a car accident can include but are not limited to the following:
- Lacerations, abrasions, and serious puncture wounds
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Neck and back injuries including damage to the spinal cord
- Head and brain injuries
- Emotional trauma which may result in anxiety, depression, and/or PTSD
Getting prompt medical care is vital after being in a car crash. Regardless of any pain or symptoms felt (or lack thereof), a victim of a car accident should get looked over by emergency response personnel right away since any pain or injury symptoms may be masked by adrenaline.
It’s common for accident victims to feel a sense of adrenaline after a crash. The human brain often reacts to trauma by releasing endorphins. These endorphins may delay injury symptoms for hours or even days. Delaying medical treatment can cause additional complications or delay the healing process. In addition, you may find it difficult to receive your preferred settlement amount if you delay treatment.
Why Hire a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer?
If you’re questioning who was at fault for the accident, are having a difficult time settling for your preferred amount, or simply feel that you will not get enough compensation to cover the costs of your injuries and the time you must take off work, you should get in touch with our Chicago car accident attorneys as soon as possible. We can also help in cases where you have lost a loved one. These cases are referred to as wrongful death claims.
A lawyer can help by potentially providing you with the following:
- Fair compensation for past, current, and future medical expenses relating to the accident
- Compensation for past and future wage loss
- Compensation for past and future pain and suffering
- Compensation for loss of a normal life resulting from your injuries
- Compensation for the disability caused by the injuries
- Liability disputes – If either insurance company is claiming that you’re liable when you know you didn’t cause the accident, a lawyer can step in and dispute any arguments
- Insurance solutions – If you’re struggling to settle a difficult claim, our car accident lawyers may know just what to do to settle the claim in your favor
- Solutions for special circumstances – If your claim involves a unique situation such as a defective vehicle or a corporation that was responsible for placing a negligent commercial driver behind the wheel, a lawyer will know how to build a strong case against those responsible
At Krzak Rundio Gorman, Injury Attorneys, we’re prepared to fight for your rights and help you and your family. We understand how to navigate complex cases and have the knowledge and resources to take on powerful insurance companies, corporations, and other groups and entities.
We approach every claim individually and pay attention to the circumstances of each case. We approach each case with compassion, integrity, and experience. Whether your car accident was caused by a negligent driver, a defective vehicle part, or a negligent highway construction crew that left debris in the road, we will not hesitate to prepare your case for trial and stand by your side.
To learn more, contact our attorneys today.